Andon is a visual feedback system with displays and controls used throughout a manufacturing site to improve communication and highlight alerts as soon as they occur.
Types of Andon
- Andon Cord: This is a cord in manufacturing workers can pull in case of an incident which will affect quality of the products or compromise safety of employees.
- Andon Light: is commonly used within lean to signal status and request assistance to for example a machine, it would typically be a stack of different colour lights each requesting a different response. An everyday example could be the warning light in your car showing low level of oil.
- Andon Board: These boards usually display a wider range of signals which can include data about the process; it could be information on KPI’s downtime, consumption and so forth.
Benefits of Andon
There are several benefits to using a visual feedback system, below is a few examples.
- The state of a manufacturing process is constantly visible, and request for assistance is signalled as soon as an issue occur.
- It reduces the downtime and increase the efficiency of a process.
- Visual feedback systems can be used in manufacturing, Storage, receiving, shipping etc.
Alternatively you can continue to our quality training page to see our available courses.Go to Quality Training