Lean 5S is one of the most powerful Lean Manufacturing Tools and the foundation of any successful Lean implementation. Lean 5S is short for the 5 Japanese words Seiri, Seiton, Seiso, Seiketsu and Shitsuke.
Lean 5S is a simple tool for organising a workplace in a clean, safe and efficient manner to increase productivity.
In addition to be a stable foundation for further improvement through implementing Lean Tools, then it create a very visual workspace which make any problems stand out instantly.
The 5/6 S’es in Lean 5s
- Sort – All unneeded tools, parts and supplies are removed from the area.
- Set in Order – A place for everything and everything is in its place.
- Shine – The area is cleaned as the work is performed.
- Standardize – Cleaning and identification methods are consistently applied.
- Sustain – 5S is a habit and is continually improved.
- Safety – 5S is also sometimes known as 6S where the sixth S stands for Safety.
Lean 5s as Quality Tool or Culture
Lean 5S should not only be seen as a quality tool, but more as a culture that have to be built into any organisation aiming for continuous improvement.
Implementing and maintaining Lean 5s is a team effort of everyone within the work area, and is practised as a daily activity rather than a onetime exercise.
The Benefits of Lean 5S
Below are some of the benefits that can be seen when implementing Lean 5s
- Improved safety
- A clean, orderly workplace
- Improved efficiency
- Increased employee morale
- Standardised work methods
- Remember – A Well Organised and Clean Workspace:
- Has Higher Productivity
- Produces Fewer Defects and Lost Material
- Meets Deadlines Better
- Is a Much Safer Place to Work
If you are interested in Lean 5s and getting it implemented in your organisation, then our Lean 5S Training might be interesting for you.
Alternatively you can continue to our quality training page for an overview of the training we provide.Go to Quality Training