What is Cyber Essentials
Some companies have the question ‘What is Cyber Essentials’ when they are requested to get certified to the scheme as a requirement to tender for a job. Cyber Essentials is an information assurance scheme developed by the UK government which is operated by the National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC).
It provides a set of requirements for businesses, large or small to measure their cyber security systems against and has the following two certification models.
- Cyber Essentials
- Cyber Essentials Plus
A certification displays confidence for the individual organisation and its customers, that they compliant with basic cyber security best practice.
Cyber Essentials Controls
The Cyber Essentials scheme was developed to show organisations how to protect themselves against cyber threats and cover the following five cyber essentials controls.
- Access control
- Boundary firewalls and Internet gateways
- Malware protection
- Patch management
- Secure configuration
How Our Cyber Essentials Consultants Can Help
Our experienced Cyber Essentials Consultants can support you with implementing required cyber essentials controls to achieve the certification. We provide cyber essentials consulting suitable for organisations of various sizes and across different industries. Our support and solutions are tailored to the needs of each individual client.
Importance of Cyber Essentials
Today all organisations depend on digital services to some extend which also add a risk to the security of their information. Often organisations (smaller ones in particular) believe the likelihood of them being targeted by cyber attackers is low. However, the opposite is more likely the case.
The fact is that most hackers aren’t large sponsored organisations looking for high-profile targets, the majority are individuals using automated attacks to exploit poorly protected targets. Similar to a burglar who look for the poorly guarded house when they break in.
Cyber Essentials is important for all organisations, of any size, in any sector.
Benefits of Cyber Essentials
- Protect against cyber attacks: When the five cyber essentials controls are implemented correctly, it will help protect an organisation and its commercially sensitive data.
- Demonstrate commitment to information security: By attaining a cyber essentials certification, an organisation demonstrates its commitment to cyber security to interested parties as customers, regulators and suppliers.
- Secures more business: A cyber essentials certification provides organisations with a competitive advantage and often provides access to additional markets where the certification is a requirement to tender for work.
- UK government contracts: Cyber essentials certification is mandatory to work with the UK government.
- Reduced insurance premiums: Organisations often get a reduced rate when taking a cyber insurance if they are certified to cyber essentials.
Types of Cyber Essentials Certifications
The cyber essentials scheme includes two types of certifications which is outlined below.
Cyber Essentials: This certification requires a company to complete a self-assessment questionnaire which is filed online together with evidence and then verified by an external certification body. This is the low cost option which typically cost £300.
Cyber Essentials Plus: This certification must meet the requirements of the previous one. However, in addition the organisations will have an onsite audit conducted by the certification body which includes and internal scan of the system as part of the assessment.
Cyber Essentials is a must for any organisation looking to meet the increasing demands of clients and protect themselves from cyber attacks. Start now to get your cyber essentials certification in a matter of month. Begin the journey by submitting below enquiry for a free consultation.