The 8D problem solving is a methodology which is specifically designed to find the root cause of the problem devise a short term fix and implement a long term solution to prevent recurring of the problem. 8D is an excellent step to improve the quality of the product when it is clear that your product is defective and isn’t satisfying your costumers. For businesses who want improve their products and services, 8D Problem Solving Training for their employees would be an ideal way to go.
8D problem solving process is a disciplined team oriented approach to solve the critical problems in the production process. The goal is simply to find the root cause of problem and to develop a disciplined action to protect the customers and to take corrective actions to prevent similar problems in the future.
The strength of the 8D process lies in its structure, discipline and methodology. The 8D process uses a blended methodology, utilizing the best practice various existing approaches. This problem solving method drives systematic change, improving the overall process in order to avoid not only the problem but to other issues that may stem from a systematic failure.
Steps of 8D Problem Solving Method
Below mentioned are the 8 disciplines of problem solving methodology.
- D1: Use a Team: Establish a team of people with product and process knowledge.
- D2: Describe the Problem: Specify the problem by identifying in quantifiable terms who, what, where, when, why, how, and how many (5W2H) for the problem.
- D3: Develop Interim Containment Plan: Define and implement containment actions to isolate the problem from any customer.
- D4: Determine and Verify Root Causes and Escape Points: Identify all applicable causes that could explain why the problem has occurred. Also identify why the problem was not noticed at the time it occurred. All causes shall be verified or proved. One can use five whys to map causes against the effect or problem identified.
- D5: Verify that Permanent Corrections for the problem will resolve the issue: Using pre-production programs, quantitatively confirm that the selected correction will resolve the problem.
- D6: Define and Implement Corrective Actions: Define and Implement the best corrective actions.
- D7: Prevent Recurrence / System Problems: Modify the management systems, operation systems, practices, and procedures to prevent recurrence of this and similar problems.
- D8: Congratulate main contributors to your team: Recognize the collective efforts of the team. The team needs to be formally thanked by the Organisation.
By applying the 8D methodology, you can expect certain benefits, such as.
- Improved team oriented problem solving skills rather than reliance on the individual.
- Increased familiarity with a structure for problem solving.
- Creation and expansion of a database of past failures and lessons learned to prevent problems in the future.
- Better understanding of how to use basic statistical tools required for problem solving.
- Improved effectiveness and efficiency at problem solving.
- A practical understanding of Root Cause Analysis (RCA).
- Problem solving effort may be adopted into the processes and methods of the Organisation.
- Improved skills for implementing corrective action.
- Better ability to identify necessary systemic changes and subsequent inputs for change.
- More candid and open communication in problem solving discussion, increasing effectiveness.
- An improvement in management’s understanding of problems and problem resolution.
8D Problem Solving Training Benefits for Organisations
As we see the 8D problem solving seems as easy as filling the form but it is far from the truth. A methodology applied by the team of unguided individuals will cause many more problems than being solved. An unguided team will never be able to track the root of problem and instead of tracking the right problem; they may interrupt the system which will result in wasting the resources of the Organisation. Hence, an awareness program or training should be conducted regularly in every Organisation. As there is no substitute if experience, the team will learn and will be able to apply the methodology in more effective way. It’s the duty of the Organisation to make their employees aware of the problem solving methodology. Proper practice of the methodology will keep them focused on their responsibilities and they will be able to deliver the quality product.
If you are interested in our 8D Problem Solving Training to improve the competency of your workforce in terms of disciplined and structured problem solving, please contact us for a free quote.